Dr Oz: Inflammation The Root of All Problems
What do heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer have in common? Inflammation. It’s the root of many problems and if we just change our diets we can get the inflammation out of your bodies and feel better.
Dr Andrew Weil has looked into this natural medicine and has seen that the American diet really promotes inflammation. By consuming whole foods, we can let nature take control. After 40 years of research, he has this down to a science.
“True Food” is Dr Weil’s book that includes recipes and food health tips. He said that food is the cornerstone of health. The cornerstone of the body’s way of healing is inflammation. However, this causes damage to tissues and other disease. He said that vegetables are the route to go to clear up inflammation for good.
Dr Oz: Inflammation Free Diet
Inflammation in the body can be handled by adding some important foods with vital nutrients.
- Fruits and Veggies: Dr Weil highly recommends red, yellow and dark green vegetables. His favorite is orange cauliflower, which is rich in carotene. You should work in 5 to 7 half cup servings a day.
- Whole and Cracked Grains: Eating grains in floured form causes your blood pressure to spike. Dr Weil wants you to get 3 to 5 servings of brown rice, oats, barley, or quinoa a day.
- Oils: When we think oils, think nuts. Cashews or extra virgin olive oil are good and you should get 5 to 7 one teaspoon servings a day.
- Seafood: These are so high in Omega-3 fatty acids, and that’s great! Dr Weil likes Black Cod, but vegetarians can do an algae supplement. You should get 2 to 3 servings each week, and a serving is 4 ounces.
- Herbs and Spices: Chilies, gingers, and turmeric are the best anti-inflammatory agents. Servings can be as many as you like.
Dr Oz: Sea Buckthorn Juice
Dr Weil also has an anti-inflammatory elixir that is something he serves regularly at his all-natural restaurant. He said it contains sea buckthorn juice, which comes from a tiny berry on shrubs in Mongolia. It has the largest amount of antioxidants of any type of fruit and omega-3 fatty acids.
This miracle fruit can be sipped on it’s own, but Dr Oz likes it much better diluted with soda water. It’s widely used in Europe and is just now making buzz in America.
Dr Andrew Weil’s Elixir Recipe
- 1 oz sea buckthorn juice
- 1 oz agave nectar (optional, for taste)
- Glass of ice
- Soda water, about 5 or 6 ounces
Put the sea buckthorn and agave in a cocktail shaker and combine well. Fill a tall glass with ice and pour the bled over the ice. Now fill the glass with soda water.
Dr Weil drinks this every day to promote a healthy life without inflammation.